A 19th Century Louis Xvi Bronze – Ormolu three piece Clock Garniture Paris, by A.D Mougin. Circa 1860 – 1870
The beautifully bronze-cast clock case surmounted by a campana urn, the clock case and candelabras, decorated with ribbons, swags, acanthus borders and richly embellished corbels to a shaped rectangular base and toupie feet.
The hand painted enamel dial with Arabic numerals and an engine turned bezel set within an architectural shaped foliate and acanthus decorated plinth.
H: 46cm W: 30cm
A.D. MOUGIN was a well known listed French clock maker who was located at Rue de Turenne 75 Paris in mid 19th century.
A. D. Mougin is listed as working in Herimoncourt in the mid to late 19th century, which is in the Montbeliard region of France one of the main clock making areas.
Mougin is said to have exhibited clocks and as his trademark contains ‘Deux Medailles’ in which he won two medals at exhibitions.
According to Allix, his name appears on a casing of Japy blanc roulants for carriage clocks, A.D. MOUGIN worked on and roulants from Japy Freres.
Stamped “A.D. MOUGIN DEUX MEDAILLES” (in a circle) with a star.
The design for this clock is generally attributed to François Vion. A drawing executed by Duplessis is now in the Esmerian Collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York and shows an essentially identical pendule à casolette. Clocks of this model, or ones with slight modifications, were particularly popular with the French royal family and their closest circle. Louis XVI, Marie-Antoinette, Mesdames Victoire and Adélaïde, the Marquis de Sérent, and the Comte de Provence are all known to have owned a clock of this design. Marie-Antoinette owned two examples, one at St. Cloud and one in Paris. Louis XVI purchased one for the Tuilleries in 1789.